On the heels of his new album BUSH, which is expected to perform poor on the chartsin its fist week on the market, Snoop Dogg caught up with Pigeons & Planes to speak on the impact of his previous reggae-inspired offering Reincarnated, Pharrell Williams executive producing his new record, Charlie Wilson's involvement, and much more.

At one point during the discussion, the veteran emcee weighed in on the current hip-hop scene and made a bold comment about his modern colleagues, name dropping the likes of Future, Drake and Migos. What he basically suggested is that the genre lacks originality nowadays.

I love Future, Migos, I love all them. Drake. They my n****s, but I don't know who is who when the record is over" he said. "When I came out as a rapper, everyone had their own style. If you sounded like someone else, that word was called biting. You biting my style, you biting my s***."

He also clarified the difference between paying homage and simply jacking someone's style, and gave as an example is track "Lodi Dodi," which is a a tribute to Slick Rick and Doug E. Fresh's "La Di Da Di."

I paid n****s who I grew up loving. I'm gonna redo your song, get you paid all over again, and let everybody know it's your s***, and put a twist on it for the new kids who don't even know it exist," he said of the song. "That's a different way of showing love as opposed to everyone rapping the same style."


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments system

Disqus Shortname

 
Top