Found this inspiring story of this Nigerian police
officer, Edward Eze Onoriode who returned a
woman's purse with ATM cards containing
N200m and a necklace worth N1.8 million. Read
the amazing story as shared by him on his
Facebook wall below...
"I was at Ikeja shopping mall two days ago
on duty where I recovered a missing purse
at the parking lot. The purse contained;
some cash both local and foreign
currencies, recharge cards worth about
N2000, nine ATM cards, complementary
cards, valuable documents, international
passport, international and local drivers
license, national ID card, voters card and a
gold necklace.
I took the missing purse to the security
office where all lost but found items are
being kept for the owners to claim should
in case the owners lodge a formal
complaint that their items at the mall
went missing for possibly claim after
identification. At the security office where
we went through all the items inside the
purse for record purpose, one of the
security men told me point blank that if
he's the one that recovered the missing
purse, he'd remove the money, gold
necklace and recharge card before
bringing the purse to the office for record
purpose. I wasn't disappointed with his
misguided speech because that's the
normal character of most Nigerians when
they recover a missing item. Somehow, I
decide to trace the owner of the purse via
her complimentary card and put a call
across to her. Open receiving the call, she
screamed at the background jubilating
that her missing purse has been
recovered. She drove straight to the mall,
tracing me through my mobile number I
used in calling her. When we met, she
didn't mind we were in public, she gave
me a warm hug and thanked me and
prayed for me. I took her to the office
where the purse was kept. She checked
her purse and discovered that nothing
was missing. She was astonished. She
asked me again if I was the one that saw
the item and I said yes. She told me that
she was already in the bank filling forms to
block her ATM cards. She said in those
ATM cards, she have over N200m in there
and the necklace in the purse is valued at
N1.8m. She also said, I just removed a
heavy burden from her neck because life
would have been miserable for her missing
her international passport, international
and local drivers licence including other
documents. She kept thanking me and
almost knelling down. She was awed and
she told me that she least expected a
Police officer to recover a missing item
containing cash and still return that
missing item intact without removing a
dime out of it mostly in this harsh
economy. She kept staring at me like am a
God. To cut the long story short, she gave
me some cash which I rejected. I told her
am doing my job and taking money from
her for recovering her missing purse is
wrong on my part. I also made her to
understand that we can become friends
and maybe in the future she can
appreciate my nice gesture to her but I
won't take anything from her for doing my
job at the moment. She became
speechless and asked me which church
am i attending? I smiled and told her "am
irreligious. In fact, am a freethinker" that's
the exact words I told her. She stood their
for minutes without knowing the next
word to say. Anyway, we are now friends
and she just introduced me to her
husband this morning on phone. Her
husband was so excited and has invited
me and my family to join them on a dinner
in any of my off days. Is good to do the
right thing not because of any reward that
comes with it but because its the right
thing to do. Good morning.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments system

Disqus Shortname

 
Top