The court heard that begging was a major

problem in Nottingham and a police operation

was set up to combat it.



Craig Atkinson, 36, was

arrested and pleaded guilty to begging but said

the cash went on his two children.

The beggar told a court his income would drop if

he took "a regular job."



He said:

"If I got a proper regular job, I would get

less money than I am doing this.



"People

give me money. There are no victims.

"Other people sustain a £200 drug habit

but mine goes to my two teenage

children."

He told Nottingham Magistrates Court on

Tuesday that he is homeless but went on:

"I have got a few roofs. The problem in my

life is I will not be in one place."



He was given a six-month conditional discharge

with a £15 government surcharge.

He said: "I can pay that for you now."

But when magistrates also ordered £85

prosecution costs he replied:

"Please send me to prison. I have no

intention of paying it."



Margaret Martin, prosecuting, said: "He said he

makes more with this than with a job."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments system

Disqus Shortname

 
Top